Wednesday 31 March 2010

Music Magazine Evaluation

My Music magazine uses the conventions of Blender Magazines January 2009 edition. Blender is a existing music magazine, although they do not follow these conventions each edition, I believe My magazine could use a similar layout and use it as their house style. However I have decided to have my masthead layout differently to the way they do. They have their across the whole top of the cover, behind their cover image, I wanted my masthead to be in front of my cover image and not go as far across the top. Another thing I wanted to make different to blender was the image, the one they used could be said to be provocative and cuts their target audience off to only older music fans. I wanted to have a variety of music fans, so I choose to use a more age appropriate image.

My magazine represents the music industry as a whole. I tried not to base my magazines content around only 1 style of music, I have tried to make sure theirs content on all areas of the music industry, for example I have included content on a acoustic guitar star, a rock group, an alternative Indy band, a pop singer ect.

My target audience for my music magazine are musical fans in general, the layout design has been made with people aged 14-25 in mind, however the content and images could interest a wide variety of people. By making my magazine have content on all styles of music, I make my target audience larger. For example if I only showed rock band content, I would only attract rock band fans, but by making it include lots of music styles, It will attract lots of different fans.

I attracted my audience by having stories and interviews with top and interesting musicians that are popular now. Another way I attracted my audience was by making the text very bold and colourful so it stands out off the page. When on stands in shops the magazine will stand out and draw people to it without them even seeing the images or reading the text.

As my magazine is on a topic which is popular at the moment, it has lots of opportunities to work with different media institutions. As it’s a Music magazine it will sell lots of units on a regular monthly basis, so it would be involved with a printing, producing and distributing institution. Also it could be a success when working in partnership with an internet institution, the magazine could have a website which features photographs, video interview, album and concert reviews and online subscriptions ect. As the magazine is music related it could have a connection with a television institution and work with a music channel which shows the music videos of the people featured in the magazine. Also as the magazine is targeted at music fans, most people interested in music use electrical devices such as ipods and laptops to listen to it. The magazine could have a connection with a distribution institution which distributes it electronically to the devices that people actually listen to their music on.

For my music magazine I wanted the front cover to have more images so that it had a very different layout to the college magazine front cover. However I found it hard to use many images with text and still keep the layout looking neat and tidy. So I decided to compromise and have the front cover using only 1 key image and using more than 1 image on the contents page.

Similarly to my college magazines draft layouts, I made very detailed plans of how I wanted my music magazine to look and address my audience. So my final products were very similar to the plans I had made. However in my draft layouts I wasn’t very precise with the colours, so this is something that was worked on during production.

Time management wasn’t as much as an issue for my music magazine as it was for my college magazine. I spent a fair amount of time researching existing magazines, and planning my own. I left myself enough time to produce and develop my magazine with time to perfect the layout and such things.

No comments:

Post a Comment